Tuesday 14 December 2010

Yet another blog - just what the world needs.

Well, maybe.

I am a dilettante. This doesn't mean I like to listen to opera whilst sipping obscure blended teas. A dilettante is someone who likes to dabble.

I am a dabbler. I am completely fascinated by new things. And when I find something that fascinates me I binge on it. Many of these activities or interests run their course and are left by the wayside (often leaving a new pile of very specific equipment in the wardrobe) - but some get incorporated into my life. They become hobbies.

My father was much the same. In his 56 years he restored an vintage car, learned to sail, built an extensive model railway, made a canvas canoe (that leaked), flew model aircraft, ran a scout troop, collected and used antique printing presses, kept chickens, bred budgerigars, played bowls, rode motorcycles - well you get the idea. This is far from being a complete list.

But this lifestyle costs money - and frankly, I don't have any. So how to scratch that itch?

That's what this blog is about. Hobbies that that can consume a chunk of your life without costing more than a tenner.

Well, that's the idea anyway. I have a few in mind, so we'll have to see how it works out.

If you (I am assuming there is a you, else my first hobby is going to be trying to escape from the secure psychiatric unit) can suggest any cheap hobbies - feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment