Saturday 18 December 2010

#3 Coin tricks

Ok - I know people (actually one very specific person - you know who you are) who think this is about the lamest way of spending your time. She would probably say something like, "I just want to slap that stupid coin out of your hand."

She's wrong of course - and probably mental.

Anyway, I should also prefix this by saying I am no expert. In point of fact I think I would need to spend several more years practicing just to legitimately call myself an amateur.

The background: I have a five year old son. In a couple of years he's going to start hating me. Probably (if my own teenage years are anything to go by) end up thinking I am a huge hypocrite and would rather insert toenail clippings between all his teeth than spend time with his embarrassing dad.

Right now however, he thinks I'm great. I am capable of any feat. My powers are limitless in his young eyes. This is a great feeling, and one that I am happy to provide ample evidence to support.

It occurred to me that being able to perform slight of hand type tricks is exactly the sort of thing dads did in the 50s - so with than in mind I consulted the oracle (Google at any rate) and followed a step by step guide to 'the french drop' (a basic coin vanish) and re-appearing the coin from the ear of the near child.

My son thinks I am genuinely magic. Although today he said that he was bored of that trick. I showed him what I have spent the last week learning -the coin roll or Steeplechase Flourish. He was less impressed. He said "You just move the coin with your knuckles.". Tough crowd.

There you have it. The cheapest hobby so far. I find a ten pence piece is about the best size. Time will tell if I can be bothered to continue extending my repertoire - they all seem to be so difficult!

Total cost - Free - 10p (depending on whether the coin is yours)

No comments:

Post a Comment